Why you should take smaller hits from your joint/bong
Last updated Published
Let me guess; when you first started smoking weed, someone told you to take extra large hits from the spliff and hold them deep in your lungs for as long as possible. Well, turns out that’s not how you should be smoking. At all.
Legalization has taught us many important things including: how to enjoy cannabis responsibly, and that a lot of old stoner tales are rubbish. One of those myths is that holding in your hit for an extended period of time will get you higher. Here’s why that’s not true.
1. YOUR LUNGS CAN ONLY TAKE SO MUCH
Studies show that human lungs can only absorb somewhere around 5–6ml of oxygen per minute. So, no matter how long you've taught yourself to hold that smoke in your lungs, you’re not actually forcing more THC into your system.
In fact, the only reason you’ll feel “higher” is that you’re slowly starving your brain of oxygen (which will make you feel slightly lightheaded).
2. MOST THC IS ABSORBED WITHIN SECONDS
Almost all of the THC in your weed is absorbed into your body within seconds of inhaling. So there’s no real point to holding your breath, unless you like getting dizzy.
3. YOU’RE ONLY FURTHER DAMAGING YOUR LUNGS
Did you know that the smoke from your joint/bong is comprised of a very low percentage of THC (roughly 12%)? The other 88% of smoke content comes from over 100 different molecules (most of them toxic) and at least 6 polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), which are known carcinogens.
4. YOU’LL ENJOY A BETTER HIGH!
By now, you’re likely pretty familiar with the term microdosing. As the name suggests, it involves taking smaller doses of weed at a time (as little as 2.5mg) to enjoy the beneficial effects of the cannabinoid, while minimizing negative effects like anxiety or paranoia.
Obviously, trying to taking exactly 2.5mg of THC from a joint is nearly impossible. However, simply try taking smaller puffs and letting the effects settle in for about 10 minutes. Then, smoke more if you feel like it. Trust us, you’ll experience cannabis in a completely different way.
REMEMBER TO TAKE IT EASY, COWBOY!
Remember, you should be enjoying cannabis in a way that harms your body as little as possible. Ideally, consider investing in a vaporizer so you can extract the largest concentrations of cannabinoids from your weed, while also reducing the damage to your lungs.
If you prefer to smoke, either from a joint or bong, then take some added precautions to minimize the damage. Start by taking smaller, shallower puffs.